“Fonthill Castle” Pencil Drawing
by Nicholas P. Santoleri
Fonthill Castle in Doylestown, PA was built between 1908-1912 by Henry Chapman Mercer, a noted archeologist and tile maker. Although not an architect, he imagined and built the poured concrete castle from precise models of both the interior rooms and exterior design. The castle is full of displays of ceramic tiles made by Mercer himself, as well as those he collected from around the world. Fonthill also houses Mercer’s collection of thousands of prints and books. Fonthill Castle has been designated as a National Historic Landmark.
This building interested Nick for a number of reasons. As a former masonry contractor, Nick was amazed that Fonthill, and even some of the furniture within were built entirely of concrete.
As an artist, he was blown away by the artistry of the ceramic tiles throughout, and the beauty of the many prints which adorned the walls. These inspired Nick to start right in on his own drawing of the Castle in the look and feel of many of the prints he admired during his visit to Fonthill.
Framed Original “Fonthill Castle” Pencil Drawing
About Fonthill Castle Pencil Drawing
This pencil drawing was created by the artist in 2016
- The image size of this drawing is 11 x 14 inches.
- Overall framed and matted size is 21 x 25 inches.
- Framed and matted by the artist with acid free matting
- The frame, created by the artist especially for his pencil drawings, has a unique dark walnut rustic look that compliments the fine detail in his pencil drawings.
- This pencil drawing comes with a letter of authenticity from our studio.
The price for this one of a kind original framed drawing: $2,250
Also See :
- “Fonthill Castle” open edition print – reproduced from the pencil drawing. Only $40 unframed.
Nicholas P. Santoleri ~ Artist Pineridge Productions, Inc.
1515 West Chester Pike Unit A-6, West Chester, PA 19382
In Historic Chester County, Pennsylvania